This restaurant-style butter chicken dish is easy to make and is also easy on the budget. Round out the meal with naan, a cucumber and tomato salad and Basmati rice.
1 lb (500 gr) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) your favourite curry powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) tomato passata (found in Italian section of your grocery store)
3/4 cup (180 mL) coconut milk
3 cups (750 mL) fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup (125 mL) green onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted, add chicken pieces and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes.
3. Add curry powder and cook for 30 seconds, add tomato passata, sugar, coconut milk and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with Basmati or Jasmine rice.
Spearhead “Hawaiian Style” Pale Ale (Ontario, Canada)
Strewn “Two Vines” Riesling Gewurztraminer VQA (Ontario, Canada)