Flank Steak with Kale and Bulghur Salad
This salad tastes best if it sits for a few hours in the refrigerator, which also allows the steak some time to marinate.
Write a review
- 1 1/2 lb (700 gr) flank steak
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) bulghur wheat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) loosely packed fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) good quality Feta cheese, crumbled
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yoghurt, preferably higher fat content
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) kale, stalks removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white onion, finely diced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1. Using a fork pierce the steak repeatedly to allow marinade to penetrate. In a large plastic freezer bag mix together the cumin, black pepper, garlic, lemon juice and oil. Add steak to bag, coat and seal. Let marinate at least 3 hours, up to 12.
- 2. In lightly salted boiling water cook bulghur as per package instructions. Let cool.
- 3. In a large bowl stir to combine the mint, Feta, lemon juice and zest, yoghurt, olive oil and salt. Add the kale, onion, cucumber and tomatoes and toss to coat. When bulghur is cooled stir into kale mixture.
- 4. Heat an oiled grill to medium-high, remove steaks from marinade and season generously with salt.
- 6. Sear steaks about 5-8 minutes on each side for medium-rare, time will vary depending on thickness of meat. Remove from grill, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice meat about 1/2" (1 cm) thick, slicing across the grain.
- 7. Toss salad once more, adding more salt or oil if necessary. Place salad on plates and top with 2 or 3 slices of steak.
Chef Tonia Wilson http://toniawilson.com/