This a truly festive dish perfect for any special occasion. Should you not be able to find lobster tails a pound of large shrimp will also do the trick.
1 lb (450 gr) good quality rigatoni pasta
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 oz (60 gr) pancetta, finely diced (bacon will also work)
2 tbsp (30 mL) garlic, finely chopped
10 fresh sage leaves
1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream
2-3 small lobster tails, shelled and cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) pieces
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon zest, preferably on a rasp
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to the boil.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium, add pancetta and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sage and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
3. Add cream and reduce over low for 4 minutes, add lobster and let cook until just firm, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
4. Boil pasta as per package instructions. Just before draining pasta warm sauce gently over the lowest heat.
5. Drain cooked pasta well, do not rinse. Place hot pasta, the warmed sauce, egg yolks, cheese, lemon zest and a generous amount of pepper back into large pot.
6. Stir well to coat the pasta with sauce.
7. Serve immediately with additional cheese if desired.
Goose Island “Matilda” Belgian Style Pale Ale (Chicago, USA)
Tawse “Sketches of Niagara” 2012 Chardonnay (Ontario, Canada)