This is probably one of my favourite “easy” dishes. It is great as a vegetable side dish for chicken or fish, or eat all of it as a healthy lunch. If by chance there are leftovers, and there never are, make a spring frittata with the asparagus, peas and mint.
1 lb (500 gr) asparagus, tough ends snapped off
3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
a piece of Pecorino Romano cheese (or other hard sheep’s milk cheese, or Parmiggiano)
salt to taste
1. Place rack in top third of oven, not directly below broiler. Heat broiler to high.
2. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet in a single layer, season with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Shake the pan from side to side so that the asparagus gets coated in oil.
4. Place asparagus on rack and broil until lightly charred and tender, about 8 minutes. Tip: shake pan halfway through for even cooking.
5. When cooked place on platter or plates and drizzle with balsamic vinegar (pour some into the cap and pour from cap for better control) and using a vegetable peeler shave some cheese over the asparagus. Done.
Serves 4 as side dish.